"...everyone is bored,and devotes himself to cultivating habits..these habits are not peculiar to our town.." Albert Camus "The Plague"

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Oh, let’s care about the flag now that our guy won...



Seattle, as one would expect, went bonkers after the Obama win. A frenzy of flag purchases, and displays thereof, followed an evening of street dancing and singing. My daughter who lives on Capitol Hill reports hearing a huge roaring sound emanating from downtown.

Reporters for the Seattle P.I. found self described flag virgin Rosemary Garner who exclaims, "The thing that's kind of astounding to me is I never ever would have cared to own a flag...This is the first day in my life I actually feel this funny sense of pride about my country. It's a very foreign feeling, but it's a good one". My daughter writes, "I am, for the first time, truly hopeful for the future of this great country".

Another comment from the news article: "I'm finally proud to be an American again, after eight years of being ashamed," says 66-year-old Mark Lowney. Another says: "It's just a rare feeling to feel that type of, I don't know, national connection," said Noah Kriegsmann, a 33-year-old builder from West Seattle. He feels that Obama's win will help America's standing in the world, and he bought a flag to fly on his truck, though he admitted it felt strange to see the flag in his hand. "I have just historically felt shame for what the symbol of this country is internationally. Being in someplace like Morocco, and Canadians have their flag on their backpacks -- I would never ever do that".

Such confessions remind one, of course, of the "first time in my adult life" remark from Michelle Obama. My daughter in her report on the festivities writes:
It was a momentous evening here in Seattle, I've never witnessed anything like it. Everywhere you went throngs of people were cheering on sidewalks and from their cars, honking horns, dancing in the streets, hugging strangers, and waving American flags. From my apartment, you could hear this constant roar emanating from downtown that continued for several hours. The moment they called it for Obama, a huge crowd converged in the middle of the intersection at Broadway & Pine. Police blocked off the intersection from cars and allowed the crowd to celebrate peacefully, despite the fact that many people ran out into the streets with beers or champagne bottles in hand. A drag queen on the top of Neighbor's (a club) led the crowd in singing God Bless America while people clutched their friends and loved ones and joyfully weeped. Truly moving and inspiring speeches from both Obama and McCain. I hope there is a place for McCain in Obama's administration as I was impressed by his gracious concession and the sincerity of his words. It was like the old McCain was back, before he got worked over by the Republican party, when he was a true maverick.
I don't think we'll be seeing John McCain in an Obama administration! Here's a potpourri of recent photos from the election period:


Seattle P.I. photo, Paul Joseph Brown


zomblog photo

No You Can't!
steadyjohn photo: Seattle 9/08

Wesleyan University, Middletown CT, 11/5/08, Wesleying blog,Mike Levin photo

Wesleying; Hannah Berkman photo

h/t FreeRepublic
Tags:seattle celebrates obama,flag frenzy,new love of country,new love of flag,obama victory party, wesleying,middletown ct,

No comments: